February 13th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed contractions today; this will be the skill tested on tomorrow’s spelling test.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Today we started our next writing project, a persuasive letter about improving our country. We’ll review core democratic values this week and start writing the letter next week, including these parts:
- Introduction describing a public policy problem in America (vaccines, fighting ISIS, body cameras for police officers, healthy foods for schools, etc.).
- Their opinion about a solution to the problem.
- Some kind of data to support their opinion.
- At least one core democratic value to support their opinion.
- A conclusion restating their data and opinion.
A persuasive Letter to the Editor (guidelines) about a public policy issue facing the US will be due Friday, March 3.
Here are some skills that should be leveled up at this point:
- Dividing Decimals 1
- Dividing Decimals 2
- Dividing Decimals 3
- Dividing Decimals 4
- Dividing Decimals 5
- Dividing Decimals 6
- Dividing Decimals 7
- Dividing Decimals 8
- MobyMax Math Decimals skill
Science: We completed an inventory of our traits to see how we are alike and different. Homework is to make a bar graph of the team data collected in class.
Social Studies: We finished a Dear America episode about slavery today
- Middle school course request sheets are due tomorrow, February 14.
- Our Feb Factor Valentine’s Party is Thursday, February 16. Here’s our volunteer and guest list.
- Our class will be performing a class play in March. Here are the after school class practice and performance times. Hopefully getting the schedule early will allow everyone to work out scheduling conflicts.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.