October 30th, 2017
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 22-24 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We started a new topic about animals stories. This week we are focusing on what we can learn from animals stories and folktales. Today was also a Literature Circles reading day. Some groups worked on making connections as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked about adding visual details to show what characters look like. Important characters need more than just one visual detail. Students also worked on revising conferences today. A personal narrative is due Monday, November 6. Your student should be making changes to their draft at this point. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes.
Math: We reviewed and practiced math pattern skills at Khan Academy for a final class day today. We’ll start a new topic on place value tomorrow.
Here’s what we’ve been working on lately:
Science: None today due to art.
Social Studies: We reviewed federal and state powers, and shared powers between them. We also worked on a note page called, What If?, about what would happen if federal, state and shared powers were mixed up. Homework is to finish the What If? page if not done in class. We’ll also have a MiniQuiz about powers this week.
- Our class is having a Hawaiian Beach Bash on Friday, November 3, from 12:30-3:30. Here’s our list if you can you volunteer, donate, or help out?
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.