October 31st, 2017
Spelling: We learned about common spelling patterns for the long /i/ sound.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 22-24 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We started to read a folktale about a fisherman and a magical bird. Today was also a Literature Circles reading day.
Writing: We started to read a book about a fox, magpie and dog, and noticed how the reader made the characters seem real.
Students also worked on editing today. A personal narrative is due Monday, November 6. Your student should be editing for spelling, capitals, sentences sense, and paragraphs at this point. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes if needed.
Math: We started a new topic about place value and students practiced place value skills at Khan Academy.
Here’s what we’ve been working on lately:
Science: We started to read about how the earth rotates in space once in 24 hours to make a day. We also reviewed how the rotation causes day and night.
Social Studies: We reviewed federal and state powers, took a MiniQuiz, and wrote notes in minibooks about what we’ve learned about government so far.
- Our class is having a Hawaiian Beach Bash on Friday, November 3, from 12:30-3:30. Here’s our list if you can you volunteer, donate, or help out?
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.