November 1st, 2017
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 22-24 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We finished reading a folktale about a fisherman and a magical bird, teaching us not to be greedy or betray your friends. Today was also a Literature Circles discussion day.
Writing: We read a book about a fox, magpie and dog, and noticed how the writer made the characters seem real by using dialogue, character actions, and visual details.
Students also worked on editing conferences today. A personal narrative is due Monday, November 6. Your student should be editing for spelling, capitals, sentences sense, and paragraphs at this point. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes.
Math: We practiced writing numbers in standard, expanded and word form at Khan Academy.
Here are the skills we’ve been working on lately:
- Math Patterns 2
- Intro to place value
- Write whole numbers in expanded form
- Write numbers in written form
Science: Today was a health and nutrition lesson.
Social Studies: Today was a leader lesson about being proactive by “choosing your own weather.”
- Our class is having a Hawaiian Beach Bash on Friday, November 3, from 12:30-3:30. Here’s our list if you can you volunteer, donate, or help out.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.