November 29th, 2017
Spelling: We learned about common spelling patterns for the /k/ sound: c, ck, k, ch, qu.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 33-35 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We learned about summarizing, finding the main idea and key details, and what an expository text is. Today was also a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We watched a video about baking cookies:
The video showed a person not taking time to gather the proper ingredients before baking. The result was a disaster. Students make the connection that prewriting is like gathering ingredients. When a writer has taken the time to gather their ideas, they can easily follow the recipe to make their story. That’s why prewriting is so important.
Students also worked on prewriting conferences and prewriting today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction story due Monday, December 18. Your student should be prewriting at this point. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes and to finish prewriting if not done yet.
Science: We started watching a DVD about if the earth and life is rare in the universe, or if planets like earth are common.
Social Studies: None today.
- Please visit the new Internet Safety page for parents.
- We are visiting the Michigan Capitol and Historical Museum on December 5 from 7:15 am to 3 pm.
- Grand Blanc Parent University offers workshops about learning, health and parenting; there are several dates throughout the school year. Each workshop comes with a free meal! See the dates and how to register here.
- If you want to schedule your spring conference, here’s where to do that.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time?
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.