October 9th, 2018
Spelling: Students worked on their writing log during this time. They looked at my comments for their last piece of writing and summarized the bright spots and areas to work on.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: We talked about our last STAR Reading test performance. We noticed that our level dropped in some areas of STAR Reading. One cause might have been not taking enough time on the STAR Reading test. Some students finished in 10 or 15 minutes. That’s only 20-30 seconds per question, not enough time to carefully read some text, a question, and some answers. We’ll be taking another STAR Reading test on Thursday. If we take more time, we’ll probably see better results. Today was also a reading skills and AR practice day.
Writing: We added an extension to our chromebooks called Grammarly to use for editing. We also talked about editing by going to the beginning and rereading all the writing again, looking for mistakes. A personal narrative is due Friday, October 12. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes.
Science: We read more about how matter moves through an ecosystem and how scientists study food webs in nature.
Social Studies: We reviewed the notes that students wrote with a guest teacher about how American Indians adapted to their environments.
Character Strength: We are learning about looking for the good in others this week.
- Tomorrow is a late start day. School starts at 11 am.
- Our October book order is due Friday, October 12. You can order online.
- The Walk-a-Thon is Thursday, October 11. Please attend and look for ways to help contribute to our school!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
- Sign up for a fall conference here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.