January 9th, 2020
Spelling: Today was a spelling and skill test.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 45-47 are available and are due tomorrow.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We looked more scenes from some Choose Your Own Adventure stories and also some endings. We noticed that endings:
- Say “The End” at the bottom of the page.
- Have lots of action details.
- Can be good, neutral, or bad. Bad endings result in death! Neutral endings cause the player to lose, but still remain alive.
Students continued drafting their Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook. The goal is to write a new page every day, with a minimum of seven pages for this project. If a student writes one page at school and home each day, they will end up with 14 pages!
Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Students should be drafting their Google Site adventure story by now.
This project is due Wednesday, January 22. Some ideas and resources are below:
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Science: We read about how different animals use different senses to survive, and how their senses are different than human senses. Homework is to finish notebook p. 67 if not done in class.
Social Studies: We started to review the features of limited government, republics, and constitutional governments.
Character Strength: We are learning about optimism this week.
- Family Math and Science Night is January 30 from 5:30-7:00 pm. Lots of fun experiments, math games, and free hot dogs! Please come!
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.